Trade in live elephants has attracted the attention of a number of stakeholders and the media over the past few years. The CITES Secretariat has issued several public statements to explain the application of CITES to trade in live elephants, and to clarify the relevant procedures under CITES.
- Statement on trade in live African elephants under Articles III and IV of the Convention (17 September 2021)
- International trade in live elephants (9 April 2019)
- Trade in live elephants from Zimbabwe to China (8 July 2015)
- Trade in live elephants from Zimbabwe - Public statement of the CITES Secretariat (18 December 2014)
- Recent trade of elephants from Zimbabwe to China (11 January 2013)
Additional information on the term ‘appropriate and acceptable destinations’, which appears in the annotation regarding the Appendix II listed populations of the African elephant (Loxodonta africana) of Botswana and Zimbabwe is also available.