About the TAG
The Standing Committee is charged in Resolution Conf. 10.10 (Rev. CoP16) with establishing a Technical Advisory Group (TAG) to provide technical oversight to both MIKE and ETIS. This Group should support the development and implementation of ETIS and in relation to MIKE, assist the Secretariat with the establishment of relevant databases and standard reporting protocols for the reporting of illegal killing of elephants by relevant Management Authorities in range States and for monitoring in specific sites or areas.
The terms of reference for the TAG were reviewed by the MIKE and ETIS Subgroup of the Standing Committee in 2014 and can be found here.
Broadly, the TAG was been established:
- To ensure the technical and practical soundness of MIKE and ETIS;
- To help ensure the consistency and appropriateness of the design, development and implementation of MIKE across the six sub-regions in Africa and Asia and of ETIS worldwide; and
- To advise on appropriate analytical procedures and time-frames for outputs or products from MIKE and ETIS to the Parties or relevant bodies established by the Parties.
The TAG consists of up to 12 members, plus additional co-opted members. Six members are nominated by range State governments of the six subregions where elephants occur. The MIKE and ETIS Subgroup reviews and confirms nominations made by the range States. The rest of the members are appointed by the MIKE Subgroup on the basis of their expertise on relevant subjects.
The chairs of the IUCN/SSC African Elephant and Asian Elephant Specialist Groups (AfESG and AsESG respectively) are co-opted members of the TAG.
Composition of the TAG
As described in Notification to the Parties 2016/012, the current members of the TAG are the following:
Leonard Mubalama (Central Africa)
Chris Thouless (Eastern Africa)
Russell Taylor (Southern Africa)
Emmanuel Hema (West Africa)
Raman Sukumar (South Asia)
Li Zhang (Southeast Asia)
IUCN/SSC AfESG Chair: Holly Dublin
IUCN/SSC AsESG Chair: Vivek Menon
ETIS Statistician: Fiona Underwood
Minutes of TAG meetings
Minutes of the TAG meetings are available below:
- Minutes of the 12th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Nairobi, Kenya, 7-8 April 2014)
- Minutes of the 11th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Nairobi, Kenya, 6-10 December 2012)
- Minutes of the 10th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Naivasha, Kenya, 30-31 May 2011)
- Minutes of the 9th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Nairobi, Kenya, 6-10 December 2010)
- Minutes of the 8th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Nairobi, Kenya, 14-15 December 2009)
- Minutes of the 7th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Nairobi, Kenya, 12-13 January 2009)
- Minutes of the 6th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Entebbe, Uganda, 3-4 March 2008)
- Minutes of the 5th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Nairobi, Kenya, 4-5 July 2006)
- Minutes of the 4th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Windhoek, Namibia, 9-10 December 2003)
- Minutes of the 3rd Technical Advisory Group meeting (Accra, Ghana, 28-29 April 2003)
- Minutes of the 2nd Technical Advisory Group meeting (Farnham, United Kingdom, 27-28 May 2002)
- Minutes of the 1st Technical Advisory Group meeting (Nairobi, 28-29 November 2001)
- Report and recommendations of the MIKE Dung Count Taskforce meeting (Arlington, United States of America, 2-29 October 2003)