The Secretariat is charged in Resolution Conf. 10.10 (rev. CoP12) with establishing a Technical Advisory Group (TAG) to provide technical oversight to both MIKE and ETIS. This Group should support the development and implementation of ETIS and in relation to MIKE, assist the Secretariat with the establishment of relevant databases and standard reporting protocols for the reporting of illegal hunting by CITES Management Authorities in range States and for monitoring in specific sites or areas.
The terms of reference for the TAG were reviewed at the 12th meeting of the Standing Committee MIKE-ETIS Subgroup and can be found here.
Broadly, the TAG has been established:
- To ensure the technical and practical soundness of MIKE;
- To help ensure the consistency and appropriateness of the design, development and implementation of MIKE-ETIS across the six sub-regions in Africa and Asia; and
- To advise on appropriate analytical procedures and time-frames for outputs or products from MIKE-ETIS to the Parties or relevant bodies established by the Parties.
The TAG originally consisted of 10 members. Four were appointed as individuals with globally recognized skills and experience relevant to MIKE. The other six were appointed on the basis of one person per sub-region. These appointments are made from nominations submitted by each sub-region as persons who also have recognized skills and experience. All appointments to the TAG are made by the MIKE Subgroup.
On 26th November 2003, the MIKE-ETIS Subgroup approved the expansion of the TAG to 12 members to better accommodate Asian representation and that these extra 2 members would be appointed under the globally recognized category. In this regard, the Subgroup appointed Professor Anil Gore and Dr Liz Bennett.
Accordingly, the members of the TAG are currently:
Moses Kofi Sam (West Africa)
Martin Tchamba (Central Africa)
Colin Craig (southern Africa)
Iain Douglas-Hamilton (East Africa)
Raman Sukumar (South Asia)
Li Zhang (Southeast Asia)
Minutes of the TAG meetings are available below:
- Minutes of the 11th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Nairobi, Kenya, 6-10 December 2012)
- Minutes of the 10th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Naivasha, Kenya, 30-31 May 2011)
- Minutes of the 9th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Nairobi, Kenya, 6-10 December 2010)
- Minutes of the 8th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Nairobi, Kenya, 14-15 December 2009)
- Minutes of the 7th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Nairobi, Kenya, 12-13 January 2009)
- Minutes of the 6th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Entebbe, Uganda, 3-4 March 2008)
- Minutes of the 5th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Nairobi, Kenya, 4-5 July 2006)
- Minutes of the 4th Technical Advisory Group meeting (Windhoek, Namibia, 9-10 December 2003)
- Minutes of the 3rd Technical Advisory Group meeting (Accra, Ghana, 28-29 April 2003)
- Minutes of the 2nd Technical Advisory Group meeting (Farnham, United Kingdom, 27-28 May 2002)
- Minutes of the 1st Technical Advisory Group meeting (Nairobi, 28-29 November 2001)
- Report and recommendations of the MIKE Dung Count Taskforce meeting (Arlington, United States of America, 2-29 October 2003)