Geneva, 10 October 2003
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO
Conditions for trade
1. Since the issuance of Notification to the Parties No. 2003/040 of 23 May 2003, the CITES Management Authority of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the CITES Secretariat have been working together to address problems relating to the issuance of permits and the management of export quotas. During this period, the Democratic Republic of the Congo voluntarily suspended the issuance of permits to authorize commercial export of CITES-listed fauna species.
2. The Democratic Republic of the Congo will now resume authorization of commercial exports of CITES-listed species from the date of this Notification on the following conditions:
2.1 Regarding trade in Psittacus erithacus:
a) Export permits will be issued for up to 4,000 specimens already held in captivity from the 2002 export quota;
b) Export permits will be issued for up to 10,000 specimens already held in captivity from the 2003 export quota; and
c) No additional wild specimens will be harvested until 2004.
2.2 Regarding trade in other species for which export quotas have been established:
a) No further export permits will be issued with regard to 2001 and 2002 quotas; and
b) Export permits will be issued for the following 2003 export quotas: 50,000 m3 (logs) of Pericopsis elata and 400,000 kg (bark) of Prunus africana.
3. Copies of all CITES permits and certificates issued by the CITES Management Authority of the Democratic Republic of the Congo will be sent to the Secretariat on a regular basis.
4. The Secretariat strongly recommends that, for a period of six months from the date of this Notification, importing countries not accept any permit or certificate issued by the Democratic Republic of the Congo unless the Secretariat has confirmed its validity.
5. This Notification replaces Notification to the Parties No. 2003/040 of 23 May 2003.
|Site map||Search the site||FAQ & contact us||Home|