Geneva, 6 May 2003
CITES training programmes for Customs
1. The Secretariat is pleased to announce the launch by the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency of a computer-assisted training programme on CITES, which was developed in cooperation with Environment Canada.
2. The training programme was designed to provide Canadian Customs inspectors with the knowledge they need to carry out their CITES-related duties effectively. Among other things, the programme gives the inspectors:
– an overview of CITES;
– information on CITES-protected species; and
– information on the procedures to follow in order to verify CITES permits and inspect shipments.
3. The programme includes exercises that enable participants to assess how well they have achieved the learning objectives for each lesson.
4. The programme is available on a CD-ROM, which is in English, French and Spanish. To obtain a copy of the CD-ROM, please contact:
Trade Policy and Interpretation Directorate
Canada Customs and Revenue Agency
Sir Richard Scott Building, 10th floor
191 Laurier Avenue West
OTTAWA, Ontario K1A 0L5
Tel: +1 (613) 954 72 09
Fax: +1 (613) 946 15 20
5. The Secretariat is currently developing a computer-assisted training programme for Customs that will be suitable for all CITES Parties, based on the above-mentioned programme and in collaboration with the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency and Environment Canada. This CITES programme will be distributed to all Parties later in 2003.
|Site map||Search the site||FAQ & contact us||Home|