Geneva, 6 May 2003
Appendices I, II and III
1. At its 12th meeting (Santiago, 2002) the Conference of the Parties adopted a proposal to include the species of the genus Guaiacum in Appendix II with the annotation #2, indicating that the listing covers all parts and derivatives, except:
a) seeds and pollen;
b) seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers;
c) cut flowers of artificially propagated plants; and
d) chemical derivatives and finished pharmaceutical products.
2. The Secretariat informed the Parties of this decision through its website on 15 November 2002 and by a Notification sent through the diplomatic channel on 13 January 2003. However, the copy of the Appendices provided with Notification to the Parties No. 2003/013, of 4 March 2003, indicated that the annotation applicable to Guaiacum spp. was #1 rather than #2. The Secretariat regrets this error and provides herewith a replacement for the relevant page of Appendices I, II and III.
3. Following the 12th meeting of the Conference of the Parties, the Secretariat revised the presentation of Appendices I, II and III to present these three Appendices side-by-side and to place most of the annotations directly adjacent to the names of the taxa concerned. This required the addition of some text for clarification of which species were included in which Appendix.
4. For the order Falconiformes, which is included in Appendix II, the clarifying text reads as follows:
Except the species included in Appendix I and the species of the family Cathartidae, one of which is included in Appendix III; the others are not included in the Appendices.
5. It appears that the words after the semicolon have caused some confusion because some readers have taken it to mean that most species of the order Falconiformes are not included in the Appendices. In fact the species that are excluded from the Appendices are only species of the family Cathartidae other than the ones that are specifically included in Appendix I or III. Consequently the Secretariat is providing herewith a revised copy of the relevant page of the Appendices.
|Site map||Search the site||FAQ & contact us||Home|