Notification to the Parties
No. 2000/062 Geneva, 3 November 2000
1. The Depositary Government (Government of the Swiss Confederation) has informed the Secretariat that on 6 September 2000 South Africa deposited with the Swiss Federal Council a declaration of withdrawal of its reservation with respect to the inclusion of Loxodonta africana in Appendix I of the Convention.
2. The above information was communicated officially to the contracting and signatory States of the Convention through a notification from the Depositary Government.
3. A revised version of the "Specific reservations entered by Parties", valid from 2 October 2000, is attached to this Notification.
4. It should be noted that the reservation of Iceland with respect to the inclusion in Appendix II of Balaenoptera bonaerensis population of West Greenland has been deleted. This is because the reservation originally entered by Iceland referred to the West Greenland population of Balaenoptera acutorostrata. When a new nomenclature was adopted, recognizing B. bonaerensis as having formerly been included in B. acutorostrata, all references to the latter species were taken as applying also to the former. It has since been clarified that B. bonaerensis is a southern hemisphere species and that references to the West Greenland population of this species therefore have no validity.
5. This Notification replaces Notification to the Parties No. 2000/055 of 31 August 2000.
Site map Search the site FAQ & contact us Home