Notification to the Parties
No. 2000/016 Geneva, 29 February 2000
Eleventh meeting of the Conference of the Parties
1. The Secretariat hereby provides additional information regarding the 11th meeting of the Conference of the Parties, to be held at UNEP Headquarters, Gigiri, Nairobi, Kenya, from 10 to 20 April 2000.
2. Information on visas is attached for easy reference.
3. The Secretariat wishes to draw the attention of participants to this meeting that the prices quoted in the list of hotels (see Notification to the Parties No. 1999/60 of 30.09.99) do not include 25 per cent taxes (hotel charges + VAT) and breakfast.
4. Delegations who have not yet made accommodation arrangements are encouraged to do so as soon as possible as the deadline to liberate all pre-booked rooms in the listed hotels is 15 March 2000.
5. The form "Request for assistance with Customs clearance of equipment and other items for use at the 11th meeting of the Conference of the Parties" is attached. Please note also the following requirements for information, provided by Urgent Cargo Handling Ltd.
a) A copy of the Air Waybill faxed in advance (minimum 48 hours)
b) A copy of the invoice and/or packing list
c) Contact point while in Nairobi
d) A list of all items being imported into the country. This list must have the value of each item being imported. In the case of electronic items or computers, the model and serial number of each item. This must be faxed 48 hours in advance.
e) Flight details, at least 24 hours in advance.
6. The Secretariat wishes to remind participants of the following:
a) MKI Travel has arranged for a "CITES DELEGATES" courtesy desk at Jomo Kenyatta Airport where delegates can arrange transfer from the airport to the hotel at a cost of USD15 per person. This amount should be paid in cash.
b) MKI has also arranged for a "CITES" desk in each of the 'Conference Hotels' where delegates can purchase a bus pass at a cost of USD75, for transfers to/from the conference centre at Gigiri for the duration of the meeting.
Events organized by delegations
7. Delegations and observers are reminded to provide to the Secretariat, as soon as possible, a list of events they intend to organize during the meeting (receptions, conferences, etc.).
Safety and personal security
8. The attached information was provided by the Security Section of the United Nations in Nairobi.
9. On their travel to and from Kenya, participants are strongly advised not to pack valuables in their checked baggage.