Notification to the Parties
No. 1998/62 Geneva, 20 November 1998
Review of the CITES Appendices for Fauna
1. Resolution Conf. 9.1 (Rev.), Annex 2, paragraph v) and Decision 10.71 request the Animals Committee to undertake a review of species listed in the appendices applying the criteria contained in Resolution Conf. 9.24.
2. At its 14th meeting (May 1998, Caracas, Venezuela), the Animals Committee discussed possible approaches to the selection of species to be reviewed.
3. Rather than have a selection made by a limited group of experts, the Animals Committee decided to seek input first from the Parties to CITES.
4. The Animals Committee therefore requests the Parties, in particular the States that submitted proposals that were adopted to amend the appendices to provide the Secretariat with suggestions on species included in Appendix I or Appendix II that should be reviewed using the criteria contained in Resolution Conf. 9.24.
5. The Secretariat requests the Parties to provide this information before 31 March 1999, in order to allow time for preparation of a report for submission to the next meeting of the Animals Committee.
Site map Search the site FAQ & contact us Home