Notification to the Parties
No. 1998/15 Geneva, 27 April 1998
Certificates of Origin for Trade in Swietenia macrophylla
1. This Notification replaces Notification to the Parties No. 1004 of 19 December 1997.
2. The inclusion in Appendix III of Swietenia macrophylla at the request of Costa Rica entered into force on 16 November 1995. As specified by Costa Rica, the inclusion is limited to the populations of the species in the Americas and to logs, sawn wood and veneer sheets. Consequently, timber originating outside the Americas and parts and derivatives other than those designated are not subject to the provisions of CITES.
3. The inclusion of the Bolivian population of Swietenia macrophylla in Appendix III at the request of Bolivia entered into force on 19 March 1998. The controls are limited to the same specimens as those specified under 2. above.
4. The inclusion of the Brazilian population of Swietenia macrophylla in Appendix III at the request of Brazil enters into force on 26 July 1998. The controls are limited to the same specimens as those specified under 2. above.
5. On 14 September 1995, the Secretariat sent a request to the range States of Swietenia macrophylla in the Americas, except Costa Rica, for information about the types of certificates of origin they intend to use to authorize the export of timber of this species after its inclusion in Appendix III.
6. To date, the Secretariat has received the following responses:
Belize: A copy of the certificate that will be used was provided (see Notification to the Parties No. 903).
Mexico: The usual CITES permit form will be used, with the box 'other' [certificate] being ticked (see Notification to the Parties No. 890).
Nicaragua: An export quota of 12,000 m3 has been established. As the use of a special certificate of origin was not mentioned, the Secretariat assumes that the usual CITES permit form will be used (see Notification to the Parties No. 890).
Venezuela: Copies of three types of certificates of origin were provided (their use depending on the country of import), to be issued by the 'Instituto de Comercio Exterior' of the Venezuelan Government (see Notification to the Parties No. 903).
7. Additional information on the use of certificates of origin will be sent to the Parties with further Notifications updating this one.
Site map Search the site FAQ & contact us Home