Notification to the Parties
No. 966 Geneva, 7 March 1997
ICPO-Interpol, the ECOMESSAGE
1. By Notification to the Parties No. 851 of 18 April 1995, the Secretariat communicated to the Parties the ECOMESSAGE that had been approved by the General Assembly of ICPO-Interpol as the form for reporting on crime involving international trade in and transport of dangerous goods, nuclear waste and specimens of wild fauna and flora.
2. Since then, ICPO-Interpol has slightly modified this form. A copy of the new form is attached hereto.
3. The Secretariat of the World Customs Organization (WCO) and the CITES Secretariat have agreed that the format of the new joint intelligence database will be based on this ECOMESSAGE.
4. The Secretariat urges Management Authorities to use this form to inform the Secretariat of all infractions.
5. The use of this form will allow all enforcement agencies (Customs, police, etc.) to make reports that can be used by ICPO-Interpol, WCO and the CITES Secretariat. It is recommended that, when the form is prepared by Customs officers, a copy be sent to WCO and to the CITES Secretariat (direct or through the Management Authority in accordance with national practice and legislation) and that, when it is prepared by police officers, a copy be sent to the General Secretariat of ICPO-Interpol through the National Central Bureau (NCB) with a copy to the CITES Secretariat (direct or through the Management Authority, in accordance with national practice and legislation).
6. This form will be treated as strictly confidential unless the person or organization who completes the form indicates otherwise and its contents will not be disclosed without the prior approval of this person or organization.
Site map Search the site FAQ & contact us Home